Sunday, June 30, 2013

Little Green Hunter

Look at this little fellow who showed up on our porch the other night:
 

It's a juvenile mantis! I'm guessing it's a Chinese Mantis (Tenodera sinensis), because that's the species I've seen around our yard in the past, but I'm not up on my juvenile mantis identification so I can't say for sure. Regardless of its species, I couldn't resist spending some time with this creature. It was pretty big as far as insects go, but downright small for a mantis!


These creatures are so calm and personable (or at least, they give that impression), and this guy made a very thorough exploration of its strange new perch:



I'm happy to have mantises around, partially because they'll eat other bugs that might go after my garden plants, but also because they're just so cool-looking. Feel free to stick around, friend! (And sorry about my camera's flash!)


No comments:

Post a Comment