Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Happy First Day of Spring!

Today was sunny and beautiful, and I've been itching to get out into the woods, so I headed off this afternoon to Southford Falls State Park. After all, what better way to celebrate the first official day of spring than with a nice walk through the woods?

Did I say "spring"? This doesn't look particularly spring-like!
 

Even with a thin layer of snow still on the ground, though, the seasons are definitely changing. You've got your Skunk Cabbages in bloom (our first flowers, although they've actually been blooming for weeks now):
 

And your American Robins foraging in the muddy ground:
 

I also saw an Osprey wheeling high over the park's pond this afternoon -- these birds are just now returning from their winter stays to the south.

For a short stretch of my walk, I was accompanied by two Brown Creepers. (That is, they kept flying ahead of me along the path, although I'm sure they didn't actually intend to stay in my presence.) I think these little birds are really cool, and I'm always glad to see them doing their creeping thing up tree trunks:
 

I also really love the pattern of colors on this bird's back:
 

It looks like temperatures should start inching upward in the coming weeks -- this gradual shift into spring is so completely different (and much more normal, I imagine) than our jump to 70 degree days around this time last year. I'm happy to wait, because I know spring will be in full swing soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment