Friday, July 6, 2012

A Mohawked Moth

Two of these funky moths were under my porch light last night:
 

I'd never seen (or at least never noticed) one of these creatures before, and I'm loving that turquoise-and-gold hairdo! This is either a Banded Tussock Moth (Halysidota tessellaris) or a Sycamore Tussock Moth (Halysidota harrisii), two species which both occur in the eastern US and can apparently only be told apart by dissection (according to BugGuide.net). In either case, it's a gorgeous moth -- and the caterpillars have some pretty funky hair styles, too!

2 comments:

  1. The garb of this moth is so subtly lovely! You are right about the gold and turquoise! As for the caterpillar ... I WANT that hairdo! ,->

    Went to Southford Falls yesterday - it was just lovely, as you will see from the blog coming up! I wouldn't recommend lunch from the hot dog truck - nothing natural there - but the site and the trail is tranquil and picturesque - thanks for steering your readers there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm glad you got a chance to visit Southford Falls and I'm looking forward to reading the blog post! It is a lovely place, hotdog truck notwithstanding. :P

      Delete